These directions will help you prepare for oral surgery. Read them carefully, and if there is anything you do not understand, ask your doctor to explain.
- Arrive for your surgery with an empty stomach. Do not eat or drink anything (including water) for six hours before the surgery. You should not smoke the morning of the procedure because this could cause severe breathing complications. If you take prescribed medication for a heart condition, high blood pressure, infection or other illness, take the medication as scheduled, but take it with a small sip of water.
- On the day of your surgery, wear a sleeveless, short sleeve, or loose sleeve shirt.
- Come to the office with a friend or family member who is an adult. Your friend should wait for you at the office, take you home after the surgery, and stay with you for 3 hours. You will not be able to leave the office alone or drive yourself home.
- We may ask you to arrive early for your appointment to take care of necessary paperwork.
- We will cancel your surgery on the day it is scheduled if: A.) You had anything to eat or drink for the last six hours. B.) You have not taken medications as directed. C.) You have not brought an adult with you who can stay with you and take you home.
After the surgery we review post-operative instructions with your escort and we enclose a printed copy of those instructions in your care package that is provided to your escort prior to your departure from our office. Please review those instructions with your escort and enclose a printed copy of those instructions in your care package that is provided to your escort prior to your departure from our office. Please review those instructions either with your escort or on the printed sheet.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the office.
Please read this information again.